Bake this Delicious Abuelita's Rosca de Reyes
Rosca de Reyes, also known as Three Kings Bread, is a Mexican tradition. It is usually made to celebrate Three Kings day on January 6th. Make this holiday delight for your family to enjoy with a yummy cup of hot chocolate or atole. These breads are baked with a coin or a porcelain baby Jesus inside. According to tradition, the person that finds the coin or the baby inside the bread has to prepare tamales for the whole family on February 2nd to celebrate Candlemas.
- ¼ ounce packet of dry yeast (active)
- ½ cup of warm water
- ½ cup of candied orange peel
- ½ cup of dried figs
- ½ cup of candied lime peel
- ½ cup of candied cherries
- 2 tablespoons of rum
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
-1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 ¾ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
1. Combine the yeast and the warm water in a small bowl and stir lightly until blended. Let it stand until it starts to foam (5-10 minutes).
2. Place ¼ cup of the figs, ¼ cup of the orange, ¼ cup of the cherries and a ¼ cup of the limes in a small bowl and pour the rum over the fruit. Let it stand for at least 30 minutes.
3. Warm the milk over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add the salt, cinnamon, vanilla, butter and sugar.
4. In a large bowl, mix 2 whole eggs, the yeast mixture, the milk mixture, the rum soaked fruit and 3 ½ cups of flour until a ball is formed. If the dough is too wet you may add a little more flour as needed.
5. Lightly flour a flat surface (counter or table) and place the dough on top. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes or until it is elastic and smooth.
6. Place the dough in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside for an hour in a warm place.
7. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
8. After the time has passed, lightly flour a flat surface and knead the dough again. Then roll the dough into a long rope. Connect the two ends to form a ring.
9. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil and coat with nonstick cooking spray and place the dough on the pan.
10. In a small bowl, beat the last egg with 1 tablespoon of water to make an egg wash. Brush the top of the bread with the egg wash. Garnish the top of the bread with the rest of the candied fruit.
11. Place the pan in the oven and bake until the bread is golden (35-40 minutes).
12. Take the bread out of the oven and let it cool on a wire rack. Insert a small coin or doll into the bread from the bottom. Cut and serve.
13. Enjoy! Happy Three Kings Day!
Do you celebrate Three Kings Day? Did you like this recipe? Share your stories with us!